Friday 22 April 2011

What is a line

I decided to make a small photo journal for my journey which would hold some of the most memorable places and photos i took while out in Amsterdam, This booklet of photos will represent a connected series of things i did and places i visited while in amsterdam. I decided to keep the design simple by purely leaving the image and the name of where it was, i didn't want to ruin it by adding too much text which isn't needed. Seeing as i was the Audience for this brief i didnt need to add much more as i personally know what experiences goes which each photos. If i were to create this booklet for another Audience it would of looked much different.

I had the idea of producing a simular booklet about some of the best places to go in amsterdam and where these places were how to get there and so on, but then realised cheap tacky tourist guides do this already and much cheaper...


Front cover


Page 1 and 2


Back poster

On the back poster i was torn between a layout of my own typeface or just a massive collage of all the best photos i took while in amsterdam, if i had more time i would experiment with layering photos on the back.


Back Page


Final layout

Dont like the colours and i dont like the typeface when used like that.


I decided against using this one as I already had the alphabet on the back and it just looked really confusing.


These two are my back page layouts i decided to go for the black and white approach as it fitted in with the rest of my colour scheme. I decided to go with the one which had a white background so i could use off white stock instead of printing gray over a white paper and making a different stock.

This is the final layout i decided on there are a lot of improvements i could of done to this booklet but in the amount of time i set myself this was my best possible outcome. I would of liked to screen print this booklet, i initially designed it to be screen printed but then ran out of time and made a few corrections to it to get it ready for digital print.

Problems i encountered, the typeface i designed worked alright as a sentince but its readability kind of went out the window as soon as i made it too small and tried to produce a paragraph with it, i tried to solve this by adding a second known typeface but because my typeface was so heavily weighted it didnt seem to balance well on the pages together, this was another reason why i didnt add much information on my pages

No comments:

Post a Comment