Thursday 21 April 2011

What is a Line Alphabet

I decided to create a Typeface for this project as a it would be all connected to the trip i took and that i would gain inspiration from the design i saw out there. The typeface is loosely based on the title "What is a line" but more focused and the sentence i choose which stated "A connected series of events, actions or developments", by focusing on this sentence it gave me a bit more freedom to work with.

Here are some of the development stages in creating my typeface:







These were some critical developments for some of the letters i found the most difficulty with, H, E, F gave me the most problems getting them to fit within the sequence mainly because the H's crossbar didnt fit the rules. E and F needed a bit of work to make them fit the series better as well. 



Some early experimentation of putting photographs in letters to see if it would work.




The Typeface i made left me in a dilema as i was designing with the purpose to have very thick letters which allowed me to overlay photographs inside the typeface, i then used a thin line to try and balance out my letters a bit better.


This is a image of the Red light district overlaid with my typeface, I decided to use an image of the red light district as this is usually what people regconise Amsterdam for the most.


This Poster came out well, but the image isnt simple enough so you can properly make out what the image inside the text is. To make this work better i should of used a more simple image. 

These are some of my black and white alternatives i want to potentially use for a screen print process, with the black and white the image and the light kind of blurs the "N, M, O, P" line of the type but this can easily be fixed by making the image slightly darker.

Final posters i printed, i decided to use gloss as stock which paid off in the end as the photographs came out very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment