Sunday 21 November 2010

End of module Self-Evaluation

1) What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The main new skill i have acquired would be using adobe illustrator before i started the course i had never used it before and at this point i am very confident on it, using illustrator has helped to speed my design process by not having to draw out a sequence every time i want to rearrange it a bit. I have learnt some new techniques how to set out my design process which has helped to make me work far more efficiently. I have learnt a lot about typography and how i can manipulate the message i am trying to communicate using type.

2) What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

After a brief i would go to the library to browse through some relevant books which gave me some good starting points. The design context blog has been very helpful it was a bit tedious uploading all the images i found on the internet but it proved to be a good resource especially as i could access it anywhere with internet. The design context blog also help keep all my research in one place and organised as i generally loose bits of paper easily. I keep a sketchbook on me most of the which gives me somewhere to put down any ideas i come up with outside the studio.

3) What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalize on these?

I have found that creating typefaces comes very natural to me and after one of the briefs i have learnt new methods how to make them. I will look into creating more of my own typefaces instead of using standard ones on the laptop for my briefs so i can make them more appropriate for the message i am trying to communicate. I feel like i have worked well with my time management on my projects as i haven't yet had to  rush at the last minute to get something done.

4)What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I found that i am a bit rusty with layout and as the module progressed i got better but i still need to practise to get better. One of the problem areas i encountered was the layout of type and image, in some projects i kept having the problem of the image outweighing the type making the poster feel really unbalanced. I feel like i havent been getting enough research of current designers.

Attendance: 5
Punctuality:5
Motivation: 4
Commitment:5
Quantity of work produced: 3
Quality of work produced: 3
Contribution to Group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment